So...I did it. "I" meaning the husband and myself. My first ever 5K run. I've been talking about it for 2.5 months. It was a beautiful autumnish morning for a trail run. It was harder than expected due to the terrain, but it was SO much fun.
It was a lot of fun to talk to the other runners and be inspired by their inspirations. Let's profile them shall we...
* All in the family: We briefly got to know an adorable and sweet running family of four. Dad, Mom, 11-yr-old girl and 8-yr-old girl. The 8-year-old is leading her age group in the series of these runs. And, she finished ahead of Amos (only by 40-some seconds he says)!
* The mature: An 80-year-old woman that started the race directly behind Amos. Yeah, you read that age right. 80! Are you kidding me?!
* The big ones: There were a select few number of big dogs. We're talking 50ish guys weighing 250 or so. Girls in their 20s well over 200. Amazingly inspirational!
* Greased lightening: There was a 15K that started 10 minutes before our 5K. One of them lapped Amos around the 2 mile mark. He went on to win the 15K. This guy was blazing through this hilly/rocky 7+ miles in less than 7 minute miles. Then, he and his buddy (15K Men's 2nd place) went running after the race. I guess they weren't tired yet!
* The logger: Maybe it was a Friday Lunch special at White Castle. Maybe it was the 19 Pabst Blur Ribbons you sucked down with your buddies last night. I am uncertain. But, I have it on pretty good authority (the assault on my olfactory senses) that fecal matter should never under any circumstances be that color, carry that scent or be left in a public port-o-let prior to a racing event. -Mr. Blonde In regard to the girl that used the bathroom prior to him. Btw, he only pee'd.
A few thank yous of note...
1) A huge thank you to my friend and running partner Maureen. There is NO chance I would have done what I did this morning had I not been training with you. And, sorry for asking How much longer so often. You're my fav flapper!
2) To my amazing hubby who thought of this cool idea as a part of our "5" celebration (5yr anniversary). Thanks for letting me run with Maureen in the evening during our time. And supporting me! Love you!
3) Huge thanks to Ahnu for my awesome shoes. Eco-friendly, fair trade, super cute and they have been fantastic for my little doggies during this time of training.
We'll be doing it again for sure. And, before that time, I'll be investing in some high quality running socks. Do NOT need another one of these...
For all you time people out there, Mr. notched a heavy 31min and I crossed the line at 37min. I will get faster!