Tuesday, June 23, 2009

celebrating Ahnu shape


5K trail run? Yes! I am training for my first 5k trail run with my hubby. It was part of the "5" gifts he gave me for our 5-year anniversary celebration. Because I'm a goal person (ex-jock) and I've never been signed up for a run, I've lacked motivation. But, now that I'm signed up, it's on. -- In addition to the entry already having been sent, I am trying to shed some weight before even thinking of conceiving baby #3. I don't know if it is the same for you but I feel better if I know my feet aren't barking while I am running.

I've hit the ground running with a sweet new pair of Terra Linda XTR's from Ahnu. And, I adore them. You know that they're-new-so-give-them-a-couple-weeks-to-feel-good notion that crosses your mind every time you're wearing a pair of new shoes? Not necessary with these kicks. They felt good from the first step. Ahnu believes that balance is vital in performance footwear. The balance between cushioning vs. stability, traction vs. flexibility, and comfort vs. durability is all considered in their engineering process. They make shoes geared for walking, hiking, pavement running, trail running, etc. They have some cool souls for men too.

I will say they are a little more pricey than we usually spend on running shoes. But, I would rather pay a little more and know that my money is going toward a company who preserves ethics as much as they care about their products. Ahnu is one of the few footwear factories in the world that is SA8000 certified.

SA8000 is an international standard for improving working conditions. Based on the principles of thirteen international human rights conventions, it is a tool to help apply these norms to practical work-life situations.

It's easy to not care about these things. You might think where/how a pair of shoes or a shirt are produced doesn't really matter. It does! Ahnu also uses post-consumer recyled fibers in their catalogs and packaging. Check out all the ways Ahnu is giving back. Way to go Ahnu for making a difference!

Head over to Ahnu and check out their collections. I am a huge fan and I can't imagine buying running shoes from any other company now that I've experienced them. Stay tuned for more updates as I continue training for our run as well.

1 comment:

Nook said...

Thanks Mrs. Blonde! I looked very long and hard (and to no avail) to find a place to buy a good pair of tennis shoes, the kind you can work out in. I ended up buying the New Balance-Made in America, but I new that supporting New Balance in any way still meant supporting a company that does not value human rights. Next time we need tennis shoes...we'll be checking out Ahnu!